View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Betty,

I will say that old man winter has rolled in good this year.

We are wintering in the Catskills this year, a little more north from you this year than last when we were in the Poconos.

We have already seen below zero temps here. This year I put a simple skirt around just the bottom of the trailer frame with 3/4" foam just to cut the wind from under the main frame and trust me it is very windy here.

We have 2 - 100# propane tanks and try and keep them filled just in case, plus we keep the 2 -30# on board tanks full.

Since the electric is cheaper here than where we were previous last winter we switched the frig and hw heater back to electric and now only use the propane for the frig and cooking.

I know this is going to sound crazy but we like to keep the trailer a comfortable 60 deg during the day and drop it down to 56 at night. We cannot sleep if it is too warm at night.

The furnace does cycle on and off a little more but I cannot see how making it warmer will prevent that as the transfer of heat to the cold thru the walls is still the same.

Right now we are burning thru a 100# tank every 2 plus weeks which is not bad as last year as when we did not skirt the bottom and had to use electric heaters in the belly and basement to keep them warm. So far this year I have not had to turn them on and the basement has stayed at 50 degrees even when the temps dropped to below zero.

As long as your batteries stay charged and you have electric running thru the converter to keep them charging you should be good all winter.

Stay warm,

Les