View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 12:18 PM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It has and will continue to concern me in that most RV dealerships don’t have at least one tech that has been trained and is knowledgeable in the field of hydraulics. There are boatloads of RV’s that use hydraulic power to either move slides and or actuate the level up system. Those of us with hydraulic backgrounds know that most any RV hydraulic system is pretty basic despite what the average owner believes when he looks at the hydraulic pump/reservoir/ distribution manifold/ lines in the front storage compartment. The pump turns on direction to extend, the opposite direction to retract ... no directional valves, no pilot check valves, no sequencing devices, no pressure reducers, no counterbalance valve, no accumulator … just a pump, cylinders, lines, and two or three 12 VDC solenoids to channel fluid flow along with a brain box and a couple of sensors fore and aft to make the level up system work. Why we commonly hear of the dealership tech communicating with Lippert support to figure out a hydraulic issue seems to me like RV dealers either don’t understand a fundamental requirement for at least one of their techs or they just don’t want to invest the money for training or pay for the skill. Don’t misunderstand my rant here, I’m not dinging the OP for taking his fiver into service … I’m just bothered by the lack of diagnostic skill commonly on display at most dealerships. The handful of us on the MOC always try to help on hyd issues, but armchair diagnostics without being there is difficult unless we get lucky.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote