View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you mean by May 15th of this year, you need to plan fast. Reading the Milepost alone will take some time, just to find what you might like to see and do.

The hardest part is deciding how much distance to travel daily - some average 300 miles per day to allow for checking in, setting up, then breaking down the next day and getting on the road. There's a lot to see and do and you should plan for stops. Don't forget to take something for the "SignPost Forest" (look this one up).

Plan for weather that will be wet and cold and possibly even still snowing that time of year. At least the daylight should be approaching reasonable rather than mostly daylight in summer and mostly dark in winter.

Alaska is a very large state (twice the size of Texas?) and you don't say which part you want to get to by May 15. Allow several days for unexpected problems and extra stops. You'll need to decide whether it's better to get there early, than get there late.

I'll be expecting a new post from you about what extra stuff to take, like extra window cleaner, insurance info for a damaged windshield, how and where to boondock when lodging isn't available, and there's a little known law that one must stop and check when you see a disabled vehicle. The travel beauty comes at a cost.

Good experiences or bad, it will probably be one of the most memorable trips you'll ever take. I still remember all of mine and I haven't done the Montana, and I haven't seen enough of Alaska, yet.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote