View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 01:14 PM   #5
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Road View Post
Tech wired according to color coding on receptacle. At first we thought we had been hit by lightning, but pedestal was all good. Don’t know how or why panel breakers didn’t trip, maybe because never exceeded amperage. We had an internal power strip surge protector and external protector on shore power cord. Since reversing neutral and hot leg on receptacle, no issues. I did replace power select switch but problem continued afterwards.
First, it looks like you may be new here, so welcome!

I agree with Zack - the tech should have verified the work with a voltmeter, which they obviously did not do.
Should Keystone have a more accurate wiremap? It would seem so.
Should they accept 100% responsibility for any issues that arise due to an incorrect wiremap? That's where I think they could push back and say the tech did not follow correct verification procedures using a voltmeter.

The challenge in all of this, I believe, is that the governing bodies (RVIA, other?) do not require technicians to be journeyman electricians when working with high voltage components. This is simply not the case with other high voltage work, such as in our homes or offices. So, of course, RV techs are not journeyman electricians because if they were they would work for more money doing residential or commercial work.

I am glad you brought it to the attention in the forum here, so that other members are aware of this potential issue. I am having a transfer switch replaced as we speak, and based on this will make sure that the techs check the wiring with a voltmeter when done.

But my advice when dealing with Keystone is to tread softly and ask nicely. They may not believe they have a responsibility here, and they may be right.

"Asking for a favor" will come across very differently than "demanding a resolution". In general, that advice will serve you well when dealing with any issues with Keystone/Montana. I can say from experience, when I've taken the former route, the folks at Montana have been fantastic; in fact far better than I've seen with the other brands we've had and in some cases exceeding my expectations (and we bought a new unit last year so my expectations are high).

I do hope that is helpful!

Brad