Thread: Westlake tires
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #39
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I saw your reply on the other thread, not sure it makes much difference which thread , but you told me the tire in question is not steel cased . The link you provided above is pretty old , it does not have the current weight rating of the 235/80/16 or the 235/85/16.

I'll try one more time with you.

The Westlake tire in question Has on the sidewall ,and I will quote :

"ALL STEEL RADIAL" , not sure what all steel radial means , but there it is

In addition it also states on the sidewall , and I will quote :

Plies: "Tread Steel 4" "Sidewall steel 1"

This is the exact writing on the Sailun S637 ST 235/85/16 , and I assume it would be the same as the Sailun S637 ST 235/80/16, but I do not have that tire in FRONT of me to see ,but I do on the other two. Now if they are not steel cased , I do not care . The Westlake , and Sailun are constructed with identical steel plies. We do know the quality of the Sailun, should be NO argument there .

If you want to provide a current link on Westlake tires ,feel free too , but the above is all wrong with the current Westlake G rated tires .
You know tire brochure information is much like your trailer's brochure, not official. If you had studied the Lionshead link I provided, you would see they describe the Westlake ST235/85R16 LRG with a load capacity of 4080# at 110 PSI, which we both know is an error.

All steel redial is a marketing term. But you have finally read a sidewall and saw that the sidewall construction for the "All steel radial" has steel cords vice some kind of fabric.

Lionshead has not updated their link to describe the Westlake 16" LRG tires as all steel. Because I knew Lionshead to be the primary OEM provider of the Westlake tires I was quoting information from their link. Westlake does not publish a ST tire data book so the only other place to verify the actual construction of their ST tires is from the individual sidewall.

This a tire condition to be aware of when using all steel radial tires. It's called a zipper rupture and is very dangerous.

Name:  Zipper Rupture.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  7.8 KB
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote