View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

FYI - When winterizing the rig one should DRAIN the hot water tank, so no water is in it. I have not had to winterize my rig, but the hardest thing about using the bypass and emptying the tank is removing the last of the water in the tank. The srain opening is a fraction higher than the bottom so there always seems to have some amount of water at the bottom of the water tank.

For those of you who winterize, how do you get that last bit of water out of the tank? I wouldn't want to leave any water in there to prevent it from freezing, but maybe it won't hurt if it did freeze since the empty tank may not have a problem with it. I wouldn't want to put any antifreeze (pink stuff) in there. I would think it could take a long time to get the tank clean of the stuff when it's time to start camping in the rig once again.
You are right.
Using the bypass keeps the pink antifreeze out of the water heater. The little water that remains behind after draining the tank would have no adverse effect even if it froze since it would have a lot of room to expand.
I don't use pink antifreeze at all except for my P traps and the washer drain. I blow out all lines with compressed air to include the black tank flush line.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote