View Single Post
Old 09-23-2023, 07:58 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Inverter wiring in older Montana

I'm trying to setup my Montana so I can boondock 1 night at a time at places like Harvest Host.

I'm wanting to do this on a budget, so I'm not interested in putting a ton of Amp Hours in the battery bank or megawatts of solar panels on the roof.

I currently have a Norcold RV fridge that has been converted to dual compressor 12V. This is very efficient. This is the only thing of significance that draw power while going down the road. My 500 watts of solar panels can and does run the fridge and charge the battery while traveling on a sunny day.

I plan on replacing my 210 aH flooded batteries with Lithium soon but this is enough to run the fridge and CPAP machines and a few light overnight when 120VAC is not available.

However, I'd like to add a 3000W inverter and about 230 aH of LFP batteries which should get me by for things like the toaster, coffee pot, and maybe short runs of the microwave.

The budget inverters I'm looking at have recepticales and terminals to wire in 1 leg of 120VAC. I saw a video recently where the dude just wired up a cord that plugged his inverter output to his shore power connector using an extention cord with the appropriate adapters. All he had to do was turn off the panel breaker switches for the air conditioner and battery converter and then he could use any 120VAC device in his RV as long as it didn't exceed 3000 watts and his battery capacity.

This sound like a simple and cheap way of doing it and for me it might be simpler because I have a front mounted 50 amp shore power connector as well as the usually rear one along with a ATS.

I use the front 50 amp plug with an adapter to plug in my Honda generator when I'm at a place that allows generator useage. When I do that I also have to turn off the battery converter and air conditioner.

Any thoughts on this?
jfaberna is online now   Reply With Quote