View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #14
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Guys and Gals, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this discussion has peaked my curiosity. On the full Montana and largest HC units, does the output side of the hydraulic pumps have high pressure filter units? If not, then this is surely an oversight or design discrepancy. I've worked offshore maintaining and operating subsea ROVs for many years and we would never have any hydraulic circuitry without a filtration system. Valves and other components can and do fail. That is the nature of the beast. Proper filtration however dramatically stops the migration of metal particles of a pump or valve after a total failure. Again - I'm simply curious.
There is NO filter anywhere in this simple hydraulic system and quite frankly one isn't needed... If there was a filter it would just cause more problems for 90% or more of the RV OPS..

Why? most don't swap out the fluid every 3 to 5 years and don't even know what type of fluid is in the reservoir.. Add a filter in line and the OPs that don't maintain their RV will just have further issues

Everyone assume it is ATF but that's not always the case.. regardless of what Lipperts PDFs say..

For example.. my Keystone Alpine came OEM with AW32 fluid.. that's what I keep in it and change every 3 years for gee whiz .. Other units came OEM with ATF fluid..

After 8 years of use with the six point hyd level up and 3 hydraulic slide outs I have yet to see the tiniest spec of any metal contamination.

The number of cycles on this hydraulic system ( for slide motion and leveling system) are quite small compared to any normal hydraulic system in an industrial or aircraft environment.. There is not much heat involved due to the limited number of cycles over several years of use...

Keeping the system simple as Lippert has done over the years has provided a fairly robust and reliable system.. except for the newer built aluminum cylinders that have had some issues..

The EQ Hydraulic System that Alpine is switching over to is ... a piece of junk...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote