Thread: R Values
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #20
Dixiedawg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9927
I believe in stick built homes the greatest heat loss is the windows, and I think that is one of the problems with keeping warm in our coaches. Last year when we picked up our Mountaineer in Michigan in October the night temps were in the low 30's. On the pad at the dealership next to us was another Montana. Of course you could hear the whine of the furnaces during the night, our furnace was on the curb side and theirs was on the street side so the furnaces were facing each other. In the morning we talked to our neighbor and they said we must like it cold in the coach because they claimed our furnace ran half as much as theirs during the night. I told them we had our furnace set on 70, they were surprised and said that is where they had their thermostat set. The biggest difference between the two coaches was we had ordered ours with double pane windows. They were surprised to learn that was an option. I am not sure if this was really the reason or not for the difference in the furnaces, but I sure do not miss the condensation on the windows and they also help keep it quieter on the inside. The double pane windows will also make it easier to keep it cool in the summer. The downside of the double pane windows is that they add extra weight, how much I have no idea.
Cheers, Dean & Melody
AKA: Dixiedawg
Dixiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote