Thread: Slushy Mess
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2024, 08:01 AM   #12
Schautzie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker3aaa View Post
Being in the RV collision and structural reconstruction industry for over 25 years I’ve had many slideroom completely disassembled. I would not ever recommend walking on any slideroom roof. I’ve had to add reinforcement to many rooms on trailers that are within the first model year or two due to sagging.
Our 2006 Montana, our first ever fifth wheel and new to having slides. We questioned whether we should leave slides out or in during an ice storm. So we called a dealer we had done business with and was told no problem leave the slides out. Now mind you we did not have any heat on because the rig had been winterized. After leaving the slides out and no heat. We went into the camper to check it and we had slide damage. The ice was melting and we had a leak with water coming into the camper. We found that the slides support was not enough. So DH had to put a long support of 1/4 inch x 2 inch steel in the slide. His brother helped him. They used two jacks to get the slide back into the right position and then put the extra piece of steel in! With fingers crossed they let the jacks go and all was good. So with that under our belts we have never left the slides out after that during ice and snow. Especially when no heat on in the rig!!! Good luck with this issue for now. I’m envious that you are getting a shelter built! It’s on our wish list!!!
Schautzie is offline   Reply With Quote