View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #12
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I for one, am against tipping, even in restaurants. I do, but that does not mean I agree with doing it.

I have, in the past, tipped and not tipped service tech calls (not RV related). The last time I tipped was when "they" delivered our freezer and set it up for us. Another time I tipped the guy who fixed our washing machine. But the crew that re-roofed our house, the got pizza for lunch from Pizza Hut delivery.

But, there are multiple occasions I have not tipped. We have deliveries come to the house all the time. Schwans Ice cream and Hinkley water. We don't tip them when they come. But, we do give them a gift card at Christmas. But, recently, both companies have switched delivery drivers several times, just this year. So it's kind of hard developing a relationship with them. Hopefully, the current drivers will stick around long enough.

I suppose when it comes to home repairs, deliveries, and such (and that would include RV mobile techs), it's still a matter of what you want to do. There is no written "rule" or "code" that I know of that says you should or should not. I think it's all a matter of preference.

During this covid "thing", my wife and I have been tipping pretty generous (although I still don't like to). When we tip, we always give cash, especially at restaurants, and refuse to put the 10% or 20% add-on the credit card. We also inform them we are tipping because we know, especially during covid, they ARE going above and beyond being "out there" so I can enjoy my lifestyle. So, with that in mind, it's an appreciation for their service, and we always let them know that. (just an fyi, we don't eat-out all that much. Maybe once a month ... even McDonalds ... if that much).

My cousin has his own business where he has contracted with several businesses. He is notified someone purchased an item that needs to be installed. It might be weight equipment, or it might be a back-yard jungle gym for their kids. He agrees to the terms and makes an appointment for the assembly job. He tells me when he completes the job, he is offered tips often, and he never refuses them.

So in the end, I still think "tipping" should be a way of saying, "Thank-you for going above and beyond. And this is how I want to thank-you."

I just took a compliance class for the company I work for. Do you if you work for a company and, as an employee, you "tip" someone you do business with, even something as simple as an ink-pen.... it's considered a bribe! (really).

So, I guess, if you think about ... tipping is bribing, so next time you do business with "them" they will remember you and give you more attenuative service the next time. That's a bribe!

Really, do what is in your heart. No rights or wrongs.
If you are in Japan tipping is considered to be an insult to the service provider. I have been bailed out 3x on roadside breakdowns where I've tipped tow truck drivers between $50- $100. One towed us 100 miles to our house when they don't tow out of a 30 mile radius and dont take dogs or more then one passenger. Another driver took me to the car rental company in that town and waited until I got my rental vehicle before he towed the TV to the dealership, and then went back for the trailer to haul that to the nearest campgrounds. I have also tipped zero, when I had to wait three hours for a tire change north of Gulf Shores and charged 3x my tire insurance coverage. He wouldn't head in my direction on the app until paid in full.