View Single Post
Old 07-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I bit the bullet and purchased 2 Cummings Onan P4500i inverter generators and the parallel cable. Now granted they are not cheap. One by itself is costly enough. But, one by itself will easily handle a 30 amp RV, and you'll notice nothing different than if you were plugged into shore power. Of course, you are still going to have to power manage that 30 amps, same as shore power. There's no magic bullet. If your camper is 30 amps, the P4500 will do magnificant.

If you have a 50 amp RV, two Onan P4500i 's will adequately run everything in your camper, same as plugged into shore power. You will not notice any thing different inside the camper, running on 2 of these in parallel, or plugged into 50 amp service. I've successfully run for hours on end, both AC's, microwave, televisions, residential refrigerator, and the water heater on electric. I also tried the electric fire place with all of this running and a few other appliances, like an electric skillet. Everything ran with no noticeable difference than when plugged into 50 amp shore power.

Again, these are not cheap. I invested over $2500 for both and the parallel cable kit included, but it was worth it. They are gasoline powered, so you do need to prepare a way to transport gasoline. They do, however, run 16 hours on 3.4 gallons of gas. (Times 2, that 6.8 gallons of gas every 16-18 hours for both to run).

I also successfully powered my 50 amp Montana using only 1 generator, and limited everything to 30 amps. The generator handled the camper identical to being plugged into 30 amp shore power. And of course, when using a 30 amp power source, power management of your electric run items is a must .... especially in our big rig, 41 foot Montana's!

I carry the generators in the bed of the truck. When not in use, my 4-fold, flip top bed cover, covers them out of sight. Lock the tail gate, and all good to go... nice and hidden. Out of sight, out of mind!

When it rains, they go under the over hang of the fifth wheel. No problems there, and never had fumes coming inside the camper.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote