View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 12:53 PM   #44
Akuhn
Established Member

M.O.C. #29184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
You need to remove the back wall in the front pass-through storage area so you can see what's going on with the floor. There is a huge open space under the 2 reclining chair area, behind that wall. Inspect the floor joists and make sure none of the welds have broken.

"Soft floor" can mean several things. The floor is sandwiched with a top layer and a bottom layer of Luna plywood. In the middle is about an inch and a quarter / half inch of Styrofoam. The Styrofoam could be crumbling causing the softness.

If the Luna plywood is crumbling under the linoleum flooring, it's possible it's crumbling because of the weight of the furniture sitting on top of it bouncing up and down when traveling. Once the Luna gets soft, it causes the Styrofoam to begin to crumble also, causing a really soft floor.

When we purchased our 375FL, one of the very first things that happened was those two reclining chairs / love seat facing the television broke loose from the floor. There were only 4 small wood screws holding them to the floor and the only thing they screwed into was the very, very thin Luna plywood. The bouncing on the road caused the screws to pull right out.

I was really pissed when that happened and the chairs moved around when sitting on them.

I ended up drilling holes through the floor and ran 4 bolts for each chair (8 bolts) I had to drill a little on the chair frames themselves, but I got everything lined up and then ran bolts through the frame of the chairs, completely through the floor and with a huge washer and nut, secured them down tight! They've never, ever, ever moved, or bounced or wiggled since. As far as I know, the floor is still solid under mine and I've got no issues at all.

If your recliner chairs / love seat can move because it's not anchored down to the floor tight, then THAT is what has caused the softness. The shear weight and the bouncing when traveling has damaged the floor.

I do not think water intrusion is your problem. There is no water in the front living room 374, 375, 376, 377 FL models at all. Water under the floor in the void area, yes, but nothing that would cause damage to the floor. Water does not run uphill.

If you have a roof leak, you'd see evidence of that in the wall. The walls are sandwiched with a Styrofoam middle also. Water can't pass through though. You'd see water intrusion on your walls pretty obvious. So, I doubt your problem is water from the roof dripping down the inside of the wall and then creeping under the linoleum on the floor cause wood rot. (It is possible you can water creeping down from the slide out though. But there again, you'd see evidence of that water intrusion.

So, I think your problem is the bouncing of the chairs on a Styrofoam floor.

No, Keystone will not cover this. They'll probably say it just normal wear and tear and no structural problem on their part.

Still... it never hurts to try to push the issue!

A very simple solution fix for the floor under the chairs is to simply lay a new sheet of plywood on top of the floor. Either paint it, or cover it with floor tile, laminate, or Linoleum and then put the chairs on top of that. Meanwhile, run those bolts through the floor and really anchor those chairs down so they don't move any more. This fix will be much easier than replacing the floor. Replacing the floor will be a really, really awful job to do.
Figured I would provide an update for this, there was a seal held in by a screw in the road side front slide causing water to come in while raining. The entire upper floor needed to be replaced. Thank you State Farm