View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It pays to be prepared ....

... but this time I wasn't!

We're still at Wilderness State Park near Mackinaw City, Michigan and all is (was) going well until today. I wasn't prepared for what happened today!

Word of warning for all.

OK, RV ownership for 25 years, been around RV all my life, but still, what seems like the impossible to happen, CAN still happen.

We went into Mackinaw City for the day. We had lunch at Mackinaw City Weinerlicious and then through the down town area, worked our way to a tea shop, got some fudge, to the park under the Mackinaw Bridge and finally to the fort. Great day, wonderful experience, all was well, the world is great!

Returned to the camper and .... no keys! Ugg! I lost mine somewhere.

I asked my wife for her keys and she said, they are in the camper! OH.... double UGG!

Both doors were locked (dead bolts) and I checked all the windows. One was not locked, the one above the kitchen sink. I was able to slide the screen to the side and got the ladder out of the bed of the truck, and climbed through that itty bitty window, getting stuck about half way in. OK, so my "hips" are bigger than my shoulder ... so I found out, but a 45 degree turn of the hips and a shove from my wife and I fit in.... only to land with that fat posterior in the kitchen sink and my feet still dangling out the window and my head hanging over the counter and both hands in the air mimicking an old fashioned Pentecostal Revival Meeting! I was stuck in the sink! Well.... I was able to reach up and grab the cabinet door handle and pull my southern posterior out of that sink and did a "ker-plop" to the floor! By now, I just know God was laughing at me and the hilarious predicament I was just in. Well, maybe I'm not so sure about God, but in spite of everything, my wife sure was laughing hysterically at me, in spite of our situation.

I finally made it in, got the doors opened, and she found her keys.

We then decided to travel back and retrace our route to see if we could find the lost keys. So we retraced all our steps and searched the grounds everywhere we went, and no keys.

Now, I'm not comfortable with just one set of keys. So my wife checked for RV dealerships in this area to see if we could get duplicate keys.

She found Petoskey RV, in Potoskey, Michigan and we high-tailed it over there and they had all 4 keys we needed. So, we got 2 new sets.

The drive back to the camper was just a little bit slower and the panic feeling subsided, and now, all life is back to normal again.

My greatest thanks to Petoskey RV who had the duplicate keys (all 4 of them) and took care of us immediately. We arrived at 4:45 pm and they closed at 5:00. Really, really nice people there! I feel they did save us a bunch of agony.

Meanwhile, I have since put that 3rd set of key in a secret location on the outside of the trailer and hope I never, never, ever have to use them.

And oh, did I mention, this fat old body, squeezing through that itty bitty window is 66 and 1/2 years old!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote