View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 07:02 AM   #20
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Window is now installed. Bought it from LCI/Duncan. Not the best of experiences as the glass doesn't totally match and the supplied installation kit, weather stripping 2' short and 15 screws short, was useless. I've reused the existing screws and locally sourced weatherstripping. If I ever have to replace another window, might find another supplier.

For those of you that ever consider this as a DIY project, tempered glass with the correct tint was impossible to find locally, especially with the COVID restrictions.

With that said, you need to remove the inside clamp ring to find the OE Hehr number (assuming that's the brand your RV has installed). That ordering/part number is on a tag on that ring. After that, you sit and wait 3-5 weeks for your window. You will also need a business ship to if it's a big window - mine was 47x57 and the total weight being 171 pounds, motly wood crate. The window itself probably didn't weigh 60 pounds - and you need to pay shipping for that weight.

The actual installation amounts to removing those 38 or so clamp ring screws again then prying the window away from the outside wall. Luckily mine didn't have adhesive on both sides of the weatherstripping as some will.

You install weather stripping on the window frame, hoist it in place using a helper to hold it there while you use your screw gun(s) to pre drill a couple holes matching the clamp ring, install a couple screws. At this time, your helper is done and all you have to do is finish up installing the rest of those screws. Speaking of installing those screws - it is the worst part of the job. You are drilling through the holes in the clamp ring to a rounded part of the main window extrusion which means that sometimes you barely hit the outer edge or - gasp- leave a screw dhowing of which I have one.

Not a faint of heart DIY project, but not too bad for someone reasonably handy. I have two decent DeWalt cordless screw guns - one with a drill bit, the other with a Phillips bit which is a real time (and sanity) saver
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote