View Single Post
Old 01-17-2024, 05:27 PM   #15
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
Very short answer is ‘Yes’. It’s worth every penny. After several ‘almost’ crash landings due to under skilled drivers stopping in the passing lane., I decided something had to change. I pulled the trigger. 8k IS and hydraulic disc brakes. I didn’t make it back to I-90 after leaving Moryde plant, and I knew it was the best thing I have ever done on this 3791RD.
I weighed on a cat scale before and after installation. Trailer axle weight went up from #11,820 to #12,660. I now gross at exactly #26000.
It rides so nice it’s hard to believe they are still building spring ride with drum brakes. My old factory set of axles were nothing but trouble. Broken wet bolts. Broken spring clamps that hold the stack together. Broken wiring inside the drum brake ….twice.
Non stop maintance. I think this heavy trailer was just running too close to max weight to be safe. Now I feel bullet proof. I can stop unbelievably quick now. If you can afford to do it all, I would do it all. Rides great. Sets level now. And never feels unsafe like before.
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote