Thread: spare tire.
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
Pathfinder75
Established Member

M.O.C. #19500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I used the spare this summer after a blow out (road debris).
The problem I had was when I put the bad tire back up, the tire fell back down. Apparently something in the spare tire carrier cable pulley system broke.
...........I'm looking at this for a replacement.
BAL 28218 Hide-A-Spare Tire Storage - I-Beam Underslung Mount https://a.co/d/c93D35B
The BAL carrier is what I have. I believe both types can have issues. I should have added a safety chain this year when I dropped coroplastic. I fear like all steel it could develope internal corrosion and break. CARRIER Still looks good 6 YEARS latter though. Had to cut retaining bolt off at about 1 year from new as it corroded and unable to unscrew black knob. Not what i would want to deal with along the interstae. Consider using stainless bolt with antisieze. GOOD REASON to remove and inspect yearly.
I place Tire face down so valve stem is available to check pressure. I have seen a braided hose that can be added so it can be check from a distance. Bit pricey when I looked them up but is a good answer if you don't want to crawl under trailer.
Some people have issues with the two tubes putting dents into side walls, so be sure it is spaced so that pressure is moderate. Carrier has two bolts to secure tire. Maybe 4 or 5 years latter itire dents may look worse if it's never removed.
There are replacement tire cable lifts and like my Ford truck they ussually have a chain safety in event that cable breaks. Think safety chain good idea either way.

2017 Montana HC 353RL - Sailun S637's, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB, B&W Companion OEM puck mt.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote