View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 01:20 PM   #6
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Cozzies View Post
I currently have a Progressive Industries electrical management system EMS-LCHW50 installed. I've recently bought a Victron MultiPlus-II 2*120 inverter/charger and about to install it shortly - along with other solar install items. I would have assumed the logical AC wiring would involve
* 50A shore power to EMS,
* EMS to transfer switch, and Generator (Onan5500) to transfer switch,
* Transfer switch to inverter/charger, and lastly
* Inverter charger to AC distribution panel.
My issue is that reading the PI operating and instruction manual for the EMS (https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...b8577bfb5a.pdf), it clearly states on page 3 "Never plug the EMS into an inverter". Also, the Victron MultiPlus-II manual (https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...30V-pdf-en.pdf) stipulates on page 14 that the AC-In "must be protected by a fuse or circuit breaker rated at 50A or less, etc....".
As I understand, the EMS protects against high/low voltages and surge protection currents(much greater than 50A). Although it is rated for 50Amps, what's the consensus on it protecting the I/C for currents slightly above 50A, and whether a fuse/CB is necessary.
Also, there were some previous issues back in 2019 with connecting the EMS to the Victron I/C. The I/C developed buzzing noises, but then Victron issued a firmware upgrade to rectify the problem - i assume the latest models have this upgrade. Has anyone had any experience/issues with connecting the PI EMS into a Victron MultiPlus?
The EMS connected as you state is correct, it is NOT plugged into the inverter, it is plugged in to shore power. The EMS OUTPUT goes to the inverter. Countless RVers using the several brands of EMS available regularly connect them between shore power and the RV power cord.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote