View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I learn something new everyday. Trust me. They mostly all do. I worked on microwave ovens since ~1978 as well as freezers, refrigerators, a/c & heat, and stoves & ovens and have seen the guts of a large number of big screen TVs. They all have rather large filtering components at the a/c line input. Commercial grade electricity is often not so clean. I've never thought to ask the makers why all the filtering capacitors, coils, etc.

I worked for a man who had the original microwave oven. This was in 1967. There was an oven was setting under a work bench and I ask what it was. He said it was a oven with a electron tube in it. So I ask what it was for. You can cook a chicken in five minutes boil water in one minute. Then I ask why doesn’t someone make them and sell them. Oh they would be too expensive. He and I guess someone he worked with had put a microwave tube in a regular looking oven. These tubes that they were making were commercial and military grade tube therefore very expensive. At that time all commercial aircraft had a electron tube as part of its guidance system. His name was Ed McClure. A very fine gentleman. He had been the plant manager for one of the big tube companies. As far as I know there are none in business now.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote