View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 05:51 PM   #14
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastwostep View Post
The accessory hitch on my model is a 1 3/4 receiver and does not extend far enough out for a bike rack to clear w/o an extension. The extension pretty much halves the weight capacity, plus the way it is built is not (imho) strong enough to handle road stresses.
I have never heard of a 1 3/4 receiver. I’m pretty sure I have every size available on the farm. You sure it isn’t 2 inch. Anyway, in a nut shell, class 1 & 2 hitch, (1 1/4 receiver) rated for 200 and 350 lb tongue weight. Class 3 hitch (2 inch receivers) ratings 300-800 lbs.
Your receiver should handle most accessories that you can imagine, 2-4 bikes, 2 e bike’s, generators, grills, and pull small trailers. Most bike carriers come available to fit without the bikes touching the back of the camper. Our hitch is underneath and never had to use an extension. The key to the receiver and hitched accessories is using a anti rattle device that will make any hitch rock solid. The stress from our rough highways disappear with a tight connection and no movements from the accessories. The folks that you see with the bouncing and out of control bike racks on the back of their campers, usually doesn’t last long. Gravity and stress usually removes them.