Thread: Spare Parts?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I guess the "need" to carry spare parts all depends upon where you are planning on traveling and how available parts are in that geographical part of the world you may find yourself in.

I've had a few things fail and break in the past, but have always been within a reasonable driving distance to get the necessary parts. For example, the last actual failure was the grey water drain pipe from the bathroom. It started leaking. I had all the necessary tools, but no spare plumbing parts. But, 20 miles from where we were camped was a Lowe's Home Improvement store that sold the black ABS pipe, fittings, and glue. I had the knives, saws, and all the tools to do the job. I wasn't sure of what all I'd need or how difficult it would be, so I purchased several additional connection joints for the pipe and some rubber boots, 45 degree elbows and 90 degree elbows. Once the job was done, I had several items left over, never used, plus another 5 feet of pipe, that is still in the back of my pick-up truck. The remaining parts are back home in my garage now.

I would have never anticipated a drain pipe leak. And that is the problem. You can carry enough spare parts with you to build a new camper. But the one item that you really need at the time you need it, will be the one item you don't have. It's Murphey's law!

So, stockpiling a bunch of stuff for the (what if) scenarios could cost you a lot of money, and take a lot of space in your camper so something you may never, ever use.

The best thing you can do is do preventative maintenance when the mother ship is dry docked in your drive way at home. Constant vigilant attention to the little details of your camper while sitting in your drive way will pay off when you are on the road and away. Nothing can predict a specific part failure at any time. They always happen unexpectedly, at an inconvenient time, and always cause frustration. And it's always a part or something you don't carry with you.

The only RV parts I carry in my Montana are extra slide cables. In 4 years, I've had 3 broken cables. This is something that WILL happen again. I purchased the tools to cut, crimp, and fix myself so I can do it when at a campground now. As I'm writing this manuscript, I currently am at an Ohio State Park and I do currently have a frayed slide cable I'm limping along. If I can make it back home without breaking, I'll fix it at home. But, if it breaks where I'm at right now, I'll go ahead and replace it.

So, in your case, if you have a known item in your camper that has failed in the past, or you know is highly subject to failure or breakdown, that item is the only spare part I'd keep on hand.

Everything else can be purchased while on the road. No problem. Again ... that depends upon where you are traveling and camping too.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote