View Single Post
Old 03-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
twindman, the pullies are correct. The motor is in the center of the slide on the top. Each side of the slide has 4 cables. Two on each side (top and bottom) for pulling the slide in - those are the cables on the outside of the slide, two on each side (top and bottom) for pulling the slide out - those are the cables on the inside of the slide. The cables run parallel (side to side) along the top of the slide as the motor is in the center of the slide on top. They run perpendicular (up and down) on the sides of the slide.

NWCampers,
That is a fantastic fix. I've never seen anything like that before. I've had a few of my cables break over the last 3 years, but never any problems with the pullies. Thanks for sharing, this is definitely something to keep a close watch on.

Also, the carpet on the steps. That is a rug-mat I picked up form a home improvement store. It's got a rubber back and a fiber top. You'd use these, maybe in a garage. We original bought 2 of them so they fit under our kitchen table in the house. They worked great for our original purpose, until we picked up a larger kitchen table. So they got put away.

Move forward in time and we got two new wiener dog puppies and those steps with the open back and slick aluminum surface scared them and neither would go up or down. The goal was to put something on the steps that was not slick and something that would cover the open gaps behind the steps. That's when I remembered those 2 mats.

The length was almost perfect, but if I cut them in half long way, the width was just perfect to fit the width of the steps.

I laid the mat on the steps and shaped them (the way they look in the photo above) and I had only about 6 inches of length that was not needed. I didn't cut that off, I realized I could just tuck it under the bottom step.

Fastening it to the steps was really pretty simple. It took two different attempts, but I finally found the longest zip ties I could find. At the top of each step, I punched a hole through the mat, put the zip tie through the hole, over the top of the step and through another punched hole under the step. Pull the zip tie nice and tight on both sides, and repeated the next step down. The tail of the zip tie is under the step and then trimmed.

At the bottom, I tucked the extra length under the step and the zip tie holds it up and out of the way. We've had these on the steps for over 2 years now. The only problem with them is, it does add weight to the steps and to close the steps, they are a little heavier now. And when it rains, they get wet. I don't remove them, they usually dry pretty fast and drain very well being rubber on the bottom side. The only time they dripped water on the floor on the inside of the camper in the up position was when we had a torrential rain and we needed to close up because we were traveling.

I've removed them twice and reattached after giving them a good cleaning, and once to swap out smaller zip ties hooked together, which resulted in the connection between the zip ties (that square thing), being on the top of the steps, which was really hard on bare feet. So, I keep searching for really long ones, until one day I found them.

My dogs have no problem with the steps, and when it snows, they sweep off very easy. No problems with slick steps any more.

Original (I added the reflector because this the back door on the opposite side of the camper. It's an attention getter, when we stop at rest stops or on a curb and need to access the bathroom). Anything to get traffic attention.

After:

Here's what the under side looks like:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote