View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 06:09 AM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
If it is only going to be for a few nights I'd just let a faucet drip. Either drain the associated gray water tank or better yet if on full hook ups just leave the dump valve open.
Then you run the risk of having your sewer lines freeze up into a solid block, the holding tank fill up, and water overflow on the floor of your camper. No, not in a camper. This is never a good idea.

We've winter camped. But our entire mind-set on the water hose hook up is not necessarily conforming.

First, I never leave the the garden hose under pressure.... ever. I fill my fresh water tank and pump the water from there. Once filled, the campground shore water gets turned off, and the hose get's disconnected from the trailer. I'll even go ahead and drain the hose and put it away, or out of the way, until my tanks get empty again. Then fill the fresh water tank again.

Last January and February we were at Cullman, Alabama and the temps dropped pretty low for a couple weeks. I'd been leaving the hose connected to the trailer but shut off at the camp ground spigot, and not draining the hose. Everything was OK, until one morning we needed water in the tanks, and the hose was frozen from laying on the ground over night and temps dropped. I broke my own rule and got lazy. I paid the price too.

Once the sun hit the hose, it thawed out. Once I got water running again, the hose was cracked at the faucet. I was able to fill the tank with water spraying everywhere at the campground faucet, and ended up getting out another hose. (I carry 200 feet of hose with us all the time). I threw the old one in the trash and said, "Never again will I be lazy". Hose is always disconnected and drained after every use. And never stays connected to the trailer.

Beside, doing this, I never, ever, ever, ever have to worry about campground water pressure, and I absolutely do not need to tag along a water pressure regulator.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote