View Single Post
Old 02-21-2022, 07:59 PM   #16
NixonFamilyRV
Established Member

M.O.C. #27316
Now that the 2022 RV season is just around the corner, I felt compelled to update this thread with some of my experiences with the 376FL. I’ve probably logged somewhere around 4000 miles with the rig so far, and have camped in very hot weather, and in moderately cold weather. We’ve had it in several wind storms, dirt roads, and some VERY tight RV parks with unlevel spaces. Here’s what I can share.

First, the length/low tail issues. After my simple 2” lift, I have found the tail dragging issue to be quite acceptable. in my case, raising the axles 2” probably gained me 4” at the tail because it leveled it up with my truck a lot better. I’m still a tiny bit nose high, but a different auto-sliding hitch could possibly resolve that last 1/2” or so. I’m very pleased with the result, despite it putting me at approximately 13’ 6” in height. I can report that despite towing with a Ram 2500 diesel, the road manners are exactly the same with the lift as they were before. It really didn’t seem to affect handling, even in nasty winds.

Next, hot weather. We camped for several days in 100F temps, and we found that the simple implementation of a couple of really powerful fans helped cool everything down a ton. It made a massive difference in our comfort levels.

Cold weather: no real issues. The rear bedroom gets chilly, so does the loft (we’re talking sub-freezing temps overnight, so I found this somewhat expected). Very small space heaters in each bedroom were more than enough to balance things nicely. I’m pleased to say that the furnace output is quite adequate, output to the rear bedroom is a little weak but can be improved by blocking the bathroom duct a little bit.

I had a major brake system problem that started during the third trip. Eventually, the problem was severe enough that my truck’s brake controller would not work with it at all. The unit was still under warranty, but I live quite far from a dealer, so I just limped the thing home and started taking wheels off in the driveway. I discovered that one wheel’s brake wires had come loose from their clip, and they had been rubbing on the inside of the drum until they had worn bare and were shorting against it. I was lucky that it was relatively easy to find, and easy to fix. It almost ruined a short trip, but otherwise not a huge deal.

Now that I have processed through all of the typical initial disappointments in a new RV, I feel confident in the rig, and I love it. The first several trips were not much fun because of the learning curve, but now I am enjoying the floor plan to its full. I have 3 kids, and we find this unique floor plan pretty awesome.

My current project is new tires. The factory tires have held up OK, but I typically only try to squeeze a couple of seasons out of factory tires. I’m finding the market for 235/80R16 Load range F tires to be a bit limited. I would like either the Goodyear or Carlisle product for a long-term replacement, but I can only find Load Range E’s and G’s in that size from those two manufacturers. I don’t really want to upgrade to a G tire because my TPMS sensors don’t go high enough for that. I’ll have to shop carefully and settle for Transeagle or Trailer King. I’ve had a few sets of Trailer Kings and they’ve always served me quite well.

I’m curious to hear feedback from other owners! We love it.