View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 06:03 PM   #18
NixonFamilyRV
Established Member

M.O.C. #27316
@DutchmenSport, yes I agree that the back door on the driver side of the unit is a super cool feature. It really helps us when loading and unloading in the driveway because that’s the side of the trailer that faces our house. We love so much about this RV. BUT, this week I discovered a new problem, and it’s a little bigger than any of my previous problems.

I’ve been chewing up one tire like crazy at the rear driver side position. I noticed it after the third or fourth trip while I was troubleshooting my brake failure. I swapped the two tires on the driver side. The one on the front axle hasn’t gotten any worse, but again the rear tire on the driver side started quickly wearing excessively. It’s pretty much completely bald on the inside 1/3 or so after around 2000 miles on that axle.

I took it to the shop this week, and they told me today that the axle is bent. He went on to explain that it doesn’t appear to be damaged, or to have become bent after it was built, it looks to him like it was just built wrong. Darn. The dealership I bought the unit from in Michigan hasn’t gotten back to me yet, but I intend to inquire about axle warranty (which I think is 5 years from Dexter, but I’m not positive). Another hiccup I’ll have to deal with… if I can’t get it replaced under warranty for some reason, it’ll be around $2200 for a replacement.

This is the same axle that had a manufacturing deficiency that caused the brake system failure. Obviously, this is rather disappointing, and even if it is replaced under warranty, I’ll need to replace at least two tires - realistically I would just replace all four. Warranty won’t help me with tires, at least I wouldn’t expect it to. That’ll likely be somewhere around a $600 expense.

I also noticed that it looks like the front window somehow took a rock on the road, and there’s a big impact crack near the top of the glass. It doesn’t appear to be spreading, and I’m considering having a glass shop fill it with resin to prevent further damage. But darn my luck. That rock had to have been 12+ feet in the air to hit where it did. How the heck, I’ll never know.

Hopefully I’m near the end of these little headaches. I have had a few frustrating moments where I started shopping online for new floor plans, but I keep coming back to this one as still being the very best for our family. So I guess I just keep fixing until it’s all fixed.

Thanks,
Russ