View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 11:57 AM   #14
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSilver View Post
Here is a hydraulic jack leak story that might help you. My front landing jack would weep enough fluid to keep the landing pad wet. I figured it was related to a seal. I discussed this with a friend who own his own hydraulic manufacturing plant. He said you service the leak when it costs more for the lost fluid than the cost of the repair. That not with standing, I got tired of doing nothing and while I wintered in my rig in Florida, I removed the jack and sent it out to a service facility. For less than $100 they replaced the seals and tested the cylinder. To my chagrin, the next morning there was the same wet spot on the pad. Later in the year, at home, I removed the cylinder and disassembled it. I just happened to run my finger around the internal bore surface and detected a very slight scratch. I buffed it by hand with a few strokes with some crocus cloth. Vola, it never leaked again. To not seep some fluid, the cylinder and piston must be almost perfect. It was over 2 years from my detection to my fix. No wonder most people just add fluid and keep on trucking.
Just picked up a gallon of AW32.