View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #12
chenevb
Established Member

M.O.C. #22244
Pipes is the #1 priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarteaux View Post
Prepping for winter here in Nevada (Fallon), so I've gotten a couple of space heaters on timers. Working perfectly so far. They kick on about 4 am so it's toasty by 5.

A little concerned about pipes underneath the unit, so I'm looking at an insulated fabric skirt with perhaps a small space heater underneath for really cold weather. If anyone reads this and has a line on how to do this, please let me know. Otherwise, going on to the interwebs for research.
Comfort is important, and skirting will help. But even more important, as you acknowledge, is preventing pipes from freezing. Many have found it useful to have a heat source under the RV to prevent the temperature of the pipes and holding tanks to drop below freezing (which is when water expands and causes the damage). Consider wrapping exposed pipes with heating tape (the same as for a DIY heated fresh water hose). Where pipes go through compartments, I have successfully unfrozen pipes by placing (old style) 60W lightbulb (LED lights generate very little heat and will not help). As a last resort, leave a small thread of water running from your tap, and that will stop your supply pipe from freezing. But be aware that this could turn into a disaster if the drain side of things freezes up. Good luck.
chenevb is offline   Reply With Quote