View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 07:03 AM   #4
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I dont know, whatever is stock for a 3/4 ton heavy duty. I guess 4.11.

Inside your glove compartment is a white decal that has all your RPO option codes and on that tag there will be a code like GU5 or G**, but I seriously doubt you have 4.11 gears. Most 2500's had either 3.42 or 3.73 and neither are great towing combinations.

Yup, got all that. I would be looking at low boost and sizing the turbo so it only comes in at the higher RPM that I get into when working the truck hard. Not interested in daily driving boost.

Good luck with that idea, lots of factors to consider, turbo choice, waste gate choice, and how it all plays with your engine computer.

I think it is 12.5 k gross, on the sticker.

You need to weigh your trailer so you know how much you are pulling.

Tranny is probably a 4l60e or Google says 6l90. I need to look into the 6.6 engine, was not aware of them. Most likely more $$ and effort than I am willing to deal with.
You don't have a 4L60E as that is a 1/2 ton or light duty 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive. Your transmission is the 4L80E and is an excellent 4 speed transmission. The problem is it's only 4 speeds and if your axle ratio is not a low ratio overdrive is useless and therefore you have only 3 gears for towing. All goes back to having a proper axle gearing to make it an effective tow truck.

if you are not a mechanic and have the ability and facility to install an engine then the 6.6 option would be spendy. Probably in the $20k range. My 7.3 option is something I can do myself as I've done many engine swaps over the years. Once built a 513 Caddy engine for a Suburbon I used for towing a 8k travel trailer. I used the 3 speed T400 transmission and a US Gear 2 speed aux overdrive transmission for 6 forward gears. Allowed me to split all my gears. Axle ratio was 4.56 on this truck. Great truck for towing and hauling my 5 kids camping.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote