Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2024, 12:55 PM   #18
High5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdeb89 View Post
When you do the math though the truck isn't enough.
You can't broadly calculate the pin weight of a 5th wheel with a blanket 23% because they're all balanced differently. The manufacturer spec should be very, very close to reality on the empty pin weight. They aren't accidentally going to add another 400 lbs to the front of a trailer through normal variation.

The truck is rated for max tongue weight with a gooseneck at 3165. The pin weight of the trailer is 2880 (empty). There's room for 285 lb of additional weight on the pin. The rear axle is a non-issue with GAWR of 7250. Even if the pin absorbs 25% of total added weight from supplies and gear, you have capacity to load 1,140 pounds if evenly distributed, more if the added weight is in the back, and less if the weight is in the front of the 5th wheel.

I think I saw some others recommend going to the scales. I would recommend it as well as no one can accurately estimate what anyone has added to their trailer, how it was loaded or anything else being carried in the truck. I would definitely weigh before shelling out the $$ for a DRW truck.
High5er is offline   Reply With Quote