View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yes, auto repair shops are experiencing back-logs now, all over the country.

We had the brakes go out on the trailer when we were several hundred miles from home. I limped the trailer to our destination when I figured out the problem was not the brakes of the trailer, but something with the Integrated Brake Controller system in the truck. (I actually was relieved over that).

But, in order to get an appointment (we were in Northern Michigan), they couldn't get us in until the following week. By then, we would have been completely out of that area. Unfortunately, that dealership was not very helpful. They wouldn't even take a moment to confirm my brake problem was indeed the truck and not the trailer. I asked them what we should do, and the service guy simply shrugged his shoulders saying, "I don't know, it's your problem". My wife was furious.

We left, but after talking to my wife, I went back inside and asked them where the next closest GM dealership was. It was about 60 miles from our present location, about 40 miles from our campsite. At least he was decent enough to give the information.... but ONLY after I asked for it. He made no offers for an alternative, a different repair shop, or nothing. But he did offer up the phone number for the next GM dealership.... but only after I asked.

We called them and they could not get us in until Thursday (This was Monday). I made an 8:00 am appointment and we were there at 8:00 am on Thursday.

The DID have the part, it took about an hour to fix and we were on our way. But they were also backlogged with repairs 4 days out.

We have another Chevy pick-up that had an issue also. We contacted our purchasing GM dealership who also does ALL of my repairs on all my vehicles, for the last 30 years. They could not get us in for about 4 weeks out. We called the dealership in the next town over, and they got us in a week later. Got us fixed up and all is well.

So yes. There is a horrible back-log. Not just with parts, but with actual repair appointments too.

We are currently waiting to get our Montana in to our local RV dealership for a slide cable fix. It broke when we were in Michigan. My wife made the appointment the same day the cable broke. The appointment was set for 6 weeks out, and they said, they'd probably have the camper on their lot for 2 week, depending on their work load. So, the second week in November we take the trailer in. (FYI, slide still works, but we are home now, no plans traveling again until Januray.)

Back log? Absolutely Yes.

We are living in a new era for sure! Maybe with all the crazy stuff that's happened over the last year and a half around the world, we are all learning how to down-scale our life styles and get back to basics. -- Family, Friends, self-independence!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote