The generator supplies only equipment
mounted on the generator and/or cord and
plug-connected equipment through
receptacles mounted on the generator

Thus, rather than connect to a grounding
electrode system, such as a driven ground
rod, the generator’s frame replaces the
grounding electrode

Hopefully, you aren't hardwiring your portable generator to your RV, but are using a cord and plug to make the connection. Also, do rigs that have a permanently installed generator have to drive a ground rod when they run their generator? Pretty sure they aren't governed by OSHA. I know I don't have to abide by OSHA rules anymore.

And, thank you for the link to the OSHA FACT SHEET. This helps when those concerned about if they need to drive ground rods need answers.

Rohrmann, your former expertise is always so spot on. I’m wondering if there has been some confusion in this entire thread between a permanently installed generator and a portable generator in terms of which are being regulated under the NEC relative to RVs. I seem to remember from past rules, that the service entrance section for structures is allowed to have the ground and neutral bonded, but any subsequent sub panels fed from the ses must have isolated grounds. Is that your understanding? If that were the case, would the permanently mounted generator be considered the first point as the power source where the neutral ground bond is allowed? Second question- when the transfer switch disconnects shore power’s hots and neutral from the camper and engages the on board generator, does the generator become the defacto primary source? Apologies in advance for sucking you back into this thread. John
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote