View Single Post
Old 09-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #43
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Well it was a good run

Been taking the MHC out two out of every 6 weeks since we purchased last December. Having read through this and other forums, we've counted our blessings on the lack of issues we've had. Well as the title stated, it's been a good run.

Returning home today from an extremely nice COE 70 miles south of us, we wound up in a convoy of six oilfield semi trucks and one dually pulling a small trailer. Three of the semis had turned onto the two lane highway in front of us and the dually and last three big rigs fell in behind us. Really nice highway and we all settled in at about 58 to 60 mph - just where I like to run so all was good to me. The last podunk little rural town we passed through before our turn off on our county road, the TST TPMS alarmed out, yet all four trailer tires were reading 123 psi. DW asked me why the TPMS was alarming and my only thought was that 3 of the 4 tires had edged up to 125º and I told her that i believed that I had programmed the high temperature alarm too low. At that point I really didn't think much of it as we only had another 3 miles to our turn-off onto our county road. About this time I also noticed the dually that was following me in our little convoy was nowhere in view. Well a mile before our turnoff the other dually came flying up at about Mach 2 blowing his horn. He pulled up along side us as we were getting ready to make our turn and he said he had one of our trailer tires! Uh - that can't be right, but we pulled over to the side of the road to find that yes indeed, we were pulling a three legged dog! 6 of the 8 lug studs had snapped off either flush or somewhat up inside the face of the drum hub. The other driver had kindly stopped and picked up our tire / wheel for us and helped load it into the bed of our truck.

Since I check all the lugs with a torque wrench on all tires prior to each leg of a trip - even short trips - this one baffles me. Something to keep in mind though, evidently if a TST 507 has total loss of signal - as in our case total loss of a tire / wheel, it will evidently continue reading out the last known pressure prior to the wheel departing the coach! Moral of this story? Well if your TPMS sounds an alarm, don't merely acknowledge the alarm just because you convince yourself that everything is hunky dorie and within parameters. Heed the alarm and PULL OVER and check everything out even if you are merely 3 or 4 miles from home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220901_174356.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	12976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220901_174423.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	12977   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220901_174438.jpg
Views:	26