Thread: Lawyer
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #55
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
When sourcing raw materials for the build yourself, you don't HAVE to use conventional RV equipment. For instance you can use Mini Split A/C units (in fact the two custom MFG=Spacecraft and New Horizon are doing so on some of their units already). There are a LOT of other things you can use as well. It doesn't HAVE to be RV. You could even install a conventional hot water tank if you wanted too or maybe tankless version. Lots of options if your doing it yourself. Which sorta shoots holes all in your side of the debate. The build would almost certainly cost more but the quality of same would be several factors better!!!

But of all the things that could be built better (and heavier) the frame used on RVs is downright scary.
I wouldn't be so quick to shoot holes - neither side has proof of anything just now. If / when you do it and report back, I'm sure you would be able to speak much more accurately but right now I don't see your theories as any more valuable than the other sides theories.

Again from the boating world; I had a dream for years to build my own sailboat (and still kind of do). I've tackled all sorts of fiberglass jobs and learned a lot doing it. But once I honestly looked at how many failed projects are out there and started to question why they failed, it became obvious that there was a lot I didn't know and that my realistic chances of success were a lot lower than I had originally estimated. I bought a used sailboat instead and have been enjoying it for 12 years now.

In many ways, things are the way they are for reasons that those outside of the process cannot understand. In this case, there are a lot of reasons that "RV specific" products are the way they are (cost, weight, etc). You've pointed out a few obvious examples where one could substitute, but again until someone can join in who has said they've done it and here's what works and what doesn't? Well it's mostly just theoretical.

And you know what they say about that? "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they aren't"

Of course, YMMV, and I actually would love to see you do this!

Brad