View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #21
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDH View Post
I do marine damage claims and had a case recently where Lifepo4 batteries thermally ran away and flame vented out teh sides of their cases. I've done a lot of research on this! They willnot flame vent with aluminum shielding due to teh low heat of a thermal runaway 300 degrees however its enough heat to melt through plastic. These batteries also have BMP's installed on teh batteries and improper charging can damage the BMP along with battery life. I suggest you do better research than "going out on the limb". Not all batteries are equal and they are safer alegedly than Lion, but each installation I've seen requires special equipment to ensure that safety. These batteries have to be carged between 20 and 80% no more no less or battery life is shortened considerably!
Thanks for sharing. I am pretty confident that I know what I am talking about and multiple governing bodies agree.

OBTW what is the brand and model of the LiFePO4 drop in that experienced thermal runaway? In the marine vertices I am aware of lithium manganese chemistry runaway examples but not a single iron phosphate. Add to that the LiMn chemistry models I am familiar with the runaway incidents are not drop in replacements as we were referring to in the thread.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote