View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 10:53 PM   #24
miatadoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #17926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I’m not sure how you are finding the pin high in the hitch ? I would suggest you changing whatever method you are using when backing up into that hitch , I’ve heard people lowering their fifth wheel into the hitch ,😳 There’s no way you can have what you are saying if you back the truck up to the hitch , then adjust the height where the plate of the king pin is just slightly lower than the hitch , so you slide up , and on the hitch , making it impossible to be seeing what you are stating , and having to reposition.
Yep, I agree with everything you said, especially with visual inspection. We have a TrailAir kingpin. When unhitched, the resting position of the kingpin is angled. When coupling, the angle of the kingpin forces the hitch plate to angle forward. This angle straightens to parallel with the ground as weight is transferred to the kingpin and hitch from the landing jacks. The change in angle (and corresponding change of clamping point of the hitch jaws) sometimes causes the kingpin to sit high. It's not a huge deal, but this particular kingpin requires a little more care than other kingpins that maintain a "parallel to the bed" orientation. Thanks so much for your reply!
miatadoc is offline   Reply With Quote