Thread: CP4 Replacement
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2023, 03:53 PM   #8
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
In case anyone is interested us 6.7 Ford owners finally have an option to the CP4.

Until now there has not been a pump that would physically fit the relatively small space where the CP4 sits.

S&S Diesel has come out with what appears to be a bulletproof pump. Already got mine. Just gotta find a good shop to get it installed.

https://youtu.be/HHC4hM-w-Hk?si=bETm8V-o_ZysICXo

https://youtu.be/VMoJSVzwlnE?si=2d4Z2fWWOJzRJhFA
The 2018 example truck in the video demonstration, is example of what not to do….the truck owner had spent a lot of money removing the OEM fuel filters which were constructed of non rusting components and put in spin on filters and removed the on board water sensor. In short, even though the CP4 may have a track record of failures in the LML DuraMax engines, 2019, 2020 Cummins and 2011-current 6.7 ford, removing factory engineered equipment can add to the problem. In the 2018 test truck, if it didn’t have the S&S pump, the original CP4 pump would have failed from the rust generated by the aftermarket filtration system. As bshgto suggested, lack of fuel lubricity from pump grade diesel fuel, is a major contributor to high pressure pumps and injector failures of all makes. My office accountant’s husband has an injector rebuilding business with a sophisticated test bench similar to the S&S video, and he is an adamant supporter of adding lubricity enhancers such as Opti-Lube products. His take was that regular use of lubricity enhancers, would likely ward off most failures. Our fleet of trucks all use Opti-Lube added to each tank of fuel. The S&S replacement pump must be a recent offering. Previously S&S marketed a CP4 bypass kit that sends all the pump’s output to an external filter prior to it entering the injection system. The cost is currently $400 and is an inexpensive way to protect against a pump failure. Because the bypass kit is within the realm of do-it-yourself, it appeals to me.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote