Thread: Wheel lube?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #46
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Although I do not have the lengthy towing experience of some here, I have towed 3 different trailers since 2006 (all had the ez lube) and have NEVER once removed a wheel to check of repack bearings. Owned each for around 4 years and towed each around 15k miles . Never had a bearing or grease on brake lining issue. I just lube them up real good twice a year.

If you are old enough, just think back to the days when you did a brake job on disc brakes when you had to remove the rotors to have them turned. You would repack the bearings then. But that was every 3 years and 30-40k miles or so. You did not remove them every year and repack the bearing then, did you ? I know I did not. I started out as a auto mechanic and to this day do ALL of my own mechanical work on all my campers/cars/trucks/lawn equipment etc.

IMHO repacking every year is a complete waste of time and $$ unless you are towing the unit a lot, like 25k a year.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote