View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #39
Jpc
Established Member

M.O.C. #24040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I'm in "rohrmann"'s camp. I look at our auto-switchover thing every so often and if I see red, I change the switch to the other (full) tank. I leave both tanks open most of the time so IF one runs empty it will automatically switch to the other one. Then i get the empty one filled.

I also have a luggage scale I keep in the basement and weigh each tank at the start of the season so I know how full they are. A full tank weighs 53.5 lbs (24.3 kgs) and an empty one 25 lbs (11.1 kgs). An empty tank should have the weight stamped on it - "Tare". I made a little table that I stuck on the inside of each propane door that translates the weight into how full, or empty, the tank is in percentage. This system has worked well for me, not a full timer, for over 10 years.

Just a little more info. The “TW” stamped on the collar of tank is your Tare Weight of tank. Propane weighs 4.24 lbs per gallon. So with a scale and these numbers you can figure out exactly what amount you have left in tank regardless what size tank you have.
2018 f350 SRW 6.7,Airlift 5000 w/compressor, Andersen Ultimate hitch,2019 Montana 3120RL, 4-100Ah LiFePo4, 1200W Solar with 2-Victron MPPT’s, Victron Multi-plus 3000/12/120, Victron BMV-712, Renogy DC/DC 40Amp charger, WeBoost RV 65.
Jpc is offline   Reply With Quote