View Single Post
Old 10-29-2023, 02:12 PM   #1
Turtle-Ham
Established Member

M.O.C. #19992
Full Timer Physical Address / Credit Card Dilemma

Here's a touchy one (for us) that I'd like to hear about from full time RVers who 1) use a mail forwarding service, 2) have no physical property rented or owned, 3) don't use a family member's or friend's property for a maildrop.

We've been full timers for 7 years and had no problem getting our drivers licenses (with Veteran status on both), voter registrations, insurance, and the IRS has had no issues with us doing things this way.

But here is what's developing on our front: A year or so back, I set up a brokerage account through TDAmerica who later notied me that they now require me to provide hard copy proof of a utility bill in my name at a location that has a physical address I'm using for my accounts. Since I didn't submit such a bill (again, in my name), TDAmerica suspended my account.

I wasn't happy about that, but I took my money out of TDAmerica and cancelled my account.

But now Wells Fargo wants in on the action. If I don't provide them with a utility bill IN MY NAME in the near future, my account will first be suspended with their intention of killing off that account.

Since we do not own physical property, there's nothing for me to send unless I take over a utility payment at a "real" address and submit that "proof" to WF. In a short while, Wells Fargo says they will close my account. We have been with Wells Fargo for years, but that makes no difference to them; there would go a chunk of my credit line.

I'm annoyed at TDAmeritrade shutting us down, but this similar tactic by Wells Fargo will kill my credit card, which by itself isn't cool but it would also be listed as "closed by the financial institution". Plus if WF is doing this, we're concerned that our other card companies will do similarly.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Side note to the mods: We know there are several threads regarding mail forwarding for FTers like us, but this is a separate issue because of financial / credit ramifications.
Turtle-Ham is offline   Reply With Quote