View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #45
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBox View Post
I think it comes down to a simple question: Would the additional cost of a slider (and forgoing the option of an Anderson or similar) exceed your insurance deductible and would the inconvenience of an extensive repair to both truck and trailer. Also, would be repair also be good as new?

I can't think of many situations where the additional cost of the slider comes anywhere close to your deductible for the RV and TV. Not to mention, it will never be as good as new. If you have the TV fixed via an insurance claim, that will also show up on a Carfax type report, and dealers just love to devalue your vehicle for that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBox View Post

Having said this, I would probably gone with an Anderson if my trailer purchase had not included a slider hitch. I use it whenever making anything close to a tight maneuver and gain a lot of peace of mind and flexibility in doing so.
I researched the Andersen when I got my hitch, and the "offset" behind the gooseneck ball is like 4". So, if the distance between the cab and the gooseball is anything LESS than 44", you'll still hit with an Andersen. Even at 44", you'd have 0 clearance, so you wouldn't want to be there anyway. I think that the 2020+ GM products (stock gooseball position) are the only ones that have the necessary clearance so that you never hit turning or backing up. At any rate, it's something that you have to do your homework on to make sure that you will clear when turning.

Even IF the Andersen doesn't hit when turning, it will never give you as much clearance as your slider does either. That's the beauty of sliders. They give you a BUNCH of clearance, for uneven terrain and the like...