View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Mazboy,
I know it doesn't answer your question directly but Jeffba is onto something. There are several variables that will affect how well your residential fridge keeps things cold:

How hot is it in the trailer.
How full of cold stuff (particularly frozen water) is the unit.
Keep the door closed.
What rating are your batteries.

From an experience perspective, I can say we lost no temp at all on a two day trip with 8 hours parked (with no power source other than the batteries while parked) in 80F weather. When we got to our destination the batteries appeared to be fully charged. We had no issues at all with all 4 slides and the autolevel. I am reasonably confident that you could drive 8 hours a day and be parked the rest of the time indefinitely with no issues. But I don't know anyone that uses a camper that way.
If like us your only concerned for how the battery/truck charging maintains the temp in the fridge on the typical road trip, then I would feel safe in advising that you will not have any issues. I really don't think the better insulated and efficient residential fridges use that much power and the typical heavy truck alternator should have more than enough power to supply it.

If your looking at boondocking advice I will defer to someone else.

This is too funny. Dutchman must have posted his near identical while I was typing mine LOL. Great minds think alike I guess LOL
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote