View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #14
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
Thanks that at least is some constructive criticism. I have done some research, checked out a couple of brand names and yes it does look like the frame rails will need to be reinforced, also the mounting points (at least two) for stability. I understand the weight moment and leverage that possibly affect how this works which can be calculated with a pretty easy formula. Fatigue is another consideration.

Mighty hauler states that it can be done with frame reinforcements and they claim to have a facility that can do it so I know its possible. Taking the batteries out brings the weight to 476lbs which is under the weight of the present tailgate carrier installed now. Also the additional weight won't be at the very end it will be spread out from the bumper back.

I'm having my local welder take a look and see what his thoughts are and if its feasible or not. Naturally I don't want to break my rig. I don't think the suspension will be a problem due to its a function of keeping the weight under the GVWR. One of the ideas I had and my welder can confirm it is too cut a square out of each side of the bumper where the frame rails reside and slide in a slight smaller box beam which would greatly increase the strength. Its all still in the beginning stages and I'll have to see where it goes.
RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote