View Single Post
Old 01-12-2024, 09:45 AM   #23
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DABOO77 View Post
We've been traveling/ camping for almost 25 years now with gas / electric units without a problem from any of them- we currently are on camper #5, simply to trying to find right unit to fit family. On a recent RV factory tour it was stated the industry has pretty much transitioned away from these units- don't remember the reasoning why. Bad move in my opinion. With all that said , this past summer we had a mobile RV tech come work on the rig while away from home. I asked his opinion and he said stay away from the 12 volt compressor units as 7 / 10 fridge calls he had were failed compressors. This isn't new tech. and shouldn't have such failure rates at this point in the game - just my 2 cents worth.

The reasoning is efficiency, safety, and performance. The gas absorption units draw 650W when running on AC and burn a ton of propane when on gas (in the heat of summer, my burner never quit). The 12V unit draws 120W. Safety is not having a flame out there. Performance: my 12V unit is always 0 degrees in the freezer 33 in the fridge; my gas unit never achieved those temperatures or consistancy.

I've never heard of any failures (does not mean there are not any) and you are right, compressors are not new technology.

I'm happy your unit works well. We also had them for 40+ years and they worked as designed (including the one I took out), but time for me to move to better technology. My two cents.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote