View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 02:05 PM   #27
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Um... explanation about running electric heaters and air conditioners at the same time with my Onan's????? The reason I did that was to REALLY test the limitations of what the paired Onan's would do. I figured, if EVERYTHING was turned on and the generators spit out enough electricity, then under any normal use, the generators would work without any issues or anything I'd ever have to worry about. And they did. They ran flawless. I've used them multiple times since, and believe it or not, used only 1 at a time on the camper for 30 amp, which has been sufficient, since we weren't running both air conditioners at the same time.

Just an FYI for everyone else.... in order to prevent gasoline from gumming up the carburetor, turn the gas off and let the carburetor run itself dry. If you have a generator that does not have a gas shut off, then pick up a simple shut off valve that can be inserted in the gas line between the carburetor and the gas tank.

I've been doing this with all my gasoline powered motors and I've never had to clean a carburetor because it was gummed up. My oldest generator is now 20 years old. I've never touched the carburetor. It has a gas cut off, and I've always let it run dry and starve itself for gas when I turn it off. It still starts on the 1st or second pull of the cord. I turn the gas on, wait about 1 minute and then pull. Starts every time.

THAT is the biggest secret to keeping a gasoline powered engine operating good. That and keep the air filter clean!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote