View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Your roller and wear bar setup is similar to my dual wear bar... there is a small wear bar strip that can be seen from under the slide out and then further up inside is a larger and wider ramp the slide bottom rides up onto.. That is why the initial slide out motion is always a tip up to get up onto the wear bars and then levels out as it slides in..

I cut a 37 degree bevel on the front of my UHMW strip so that it has a ramp up area to slide up onto the two wear bars... I initially used 45 degrees and it was good but I had a slight bump as the UHMW beveled edge met with the wear bar.. I cut the bevel to 37 degrees and liked the result much better.. very little bump when slide initially rides up onto wear bar.. If I have to do the other main slide out ( which I will ) I am going to make the bevel at 17 degrees with the though being this will give the UHMW strip and even less acute of an angle to ramp up over the wear bar..

ALSO... I wouldn't consider anything but some sort of screws to attach whatever you decide to use for the repair.. Why? Anything that is on top of that Darco as it rides up onto that wear bar in your diagram is GONNA WANT TO bunch up and if it does it will tear and shred that Darco...

If you only had rollers and not the wear bar then MAYBE you could get away with some sort of glue...

my repair was based on several months of looking at repairs other OPs had tried, what sort of results they had, etc...

When the slide out I did the repair on comes in that leading edge ramps up over the outside and inside wear bars and then glides over the top of both a carpeted surface and linoleum surface.. After over 50 cycles there is NO signs of marks on the carpet or linoleum flooring...

There are some posts on this group that I saw with pics of repairs they used.. I gleamed as much info from these repairs and other groups to try and formulate my repair

The image with the white UHMW is from a post I saw on this group.. The OP did a nice job with his repair and he opted to slightly raise the slideout and work his material under the slide onto wear bar and then secure..

I chose to try and bevel that leading edge to achieve the same results without lifting the slide.. Lifting the slide a 1/2 inch is not a big deal to gain access to work something underneath...

My concern was I wanted that leading edge secured with screws so that I knew it couldnt snag on something... My first screws from the beveled edge securing the strip the to slide bottom are 1 1/2 inches from the beveled edge..

The beveled edge stays flat at all times against the slide bottom when it ramps up over the wear bar and slides in and onto main wear bar ramp...

Image of an OPs repair from this group and then two of my repair to give you a better idea on my thought process

NOTE.. my pics do not show ALL the screws I installed on the UHMW strip.. THis was my initial rough install to test the theory.. I have screws spaced about every 4 to 5 inches on both edges and countersunk.. THis keeps the UHMW strip tight and flat.. I also used a bead of proflex on the under side all around the edges before installing strip so that I would have a good moisture barrier to prevent water from wicking under the UHMW strip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (97).png
Views:	187
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	8977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (96).png
Views:	285
Size:	647.2 KB
ID:	8978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (98).png
Views:	286