View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 05:13 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosssmith View Post
From many years of experience both with pickups and trucks if you run your tires past 5 years you are pushing them. If you go past 5 years you should be prepared to face the consequences.

After reading other responses I'm very aware that many do not use years as the criteria to change tires and I hope they are successful with that. If you are dragging much of a fifth wheel at all most likely your drivers are running at capacity or slightly past so 5 years is about all you're going to get away with regardless of mileage, speed, storage, air pressure, tread depth, brand or whatever other criteria one chooses.

My fifth wheel hasn't moved in over two years and is stored in doors with tires off the ground. A person would be hard pressed to identify any wear on them, but they are approaching 5 years and will be changed at that point. I do NOT want to make costly repairs that are easily avoided or worse yet have to leave my trailer somewhere away from home for an indefinite period waiting on repairs. Tires age and 5 years has proven to be near the end of their reliable life.

Do an internet search for tire life expectancy and you will find that 6 years is the recommended end of serviceable life. That may well be the case, but my experience challenges that in the heat ours operate in here in the Great Southwest.

We recap our truck tires (18 wheelers) at 3 years and remove them from service at 5 years because they are just not worth the down time and repair cost.

~Hoss
That is the best advice you will get. Any honest tire dealer will tell you all tires have a calendar age life. I have seen some warranted to 7 years but most truck tires are 5 years and done. It isn't just about the cost, you can die if you have a blowout at the wrong time. RV tire blowouts regularly cause over $10,000 in damage to the RV.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote