View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 07:20 AM   #10
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa G View Post
Bourbon Country, now I'm concerned that I'm considering a bad campground! Cummins Ferry was at the top of my list. What do you suggest in the area? We will be there for 3 or 4 nights. I'm not having any luck near New River Gorge so we may have to change our route after all, but would still like to stay in Kentucky.

I was actually referring to Whispering Hills in Georgetown. It has a 4.5 rating on Good Sam with 3 ratings; I'm guessing 3 people must own this park!

There are a few options near the Gorge; 4 Guys RV Park in Stanton, KY, Callies Lake and Campground, and Natural Bridge St Park. The State Park has a 40' limit, but doubt they even have a tape measure. This is a very rugged and beautiful area; there are several cabin rentals and primitive campgrounds. Stanton is big enough to get a few groceries if needed, maybe a couple of restaurants, and fuel; not a tourist town at all.

I believe the Cummins Ferry park is fairly new. I've driven that road but never seen the park. It's in a pristine location in the bend of the KY River. That road is somewhat narrow.

One recommendation to look at is Kentucky Horse Park, it's actually part of the State Park system and has a large (260 site) campground that's very popular. They only have power and water, no sewer or cable if that's a deal breaker. This is actually closer to the I64 corridor than Cummins Ferry. I-64 crosses I-75 in Lexington at mile marker 112, take I-75 north 8 miles and get off exit 120, it's <1 mile to the park from there. If you are possibly interested, look at a park map and the outer loop on the right with sites A07-A041 is my favorite area. They use Reserve America for booking.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote