View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #28
CraigB in FL
Established Member

M.O.C. #29201
I bought a Westinghouse iGen4500, based on advertised noise level, gauges, remote start and expectation it would easily power everything up to one of my 2 a/c units. It has met all those expectations. Portable so I can use it at the house if the power goes out.

After having to load/unload it from the truck a couple of times, I think on a do-over I would think more about having two smaller ones to run in parallel.

My iGen4500 has been plagued with some quality issues.

Out of the box, the choke would not engage. Found a YT video that ID'd a wire that either doesn't get connected during the build, or it works loose during shipment. Removed a couple of panels and had it running in about 15 minutes.

With about 50 hours on it, while dispersed camping near the Grand Canyon in October's 30-40F temps, it suddenly sputtered like a fuel problem & quit. Pulled a panel to check the choke & throttle and found a bolt & spring in the bottom of the casing. Three bolts holding the electronic actuators on the choke & throttle had vibrated loose. The one completely loose in the bottom of the casing, a second completely unthreaded, but still in the upper portion and the third that was almost completely unthreaded. Very little room to work, had to use an offset screwdriver. Spring keeps actuator posts engaged with choke & throttle linkages. I wasn't sure if the actuators required a particular alignment with their linkages so I called WH tech support for advice. After 20 minutes holding, I got a live person to only be immediately disconnected. Another 20 minutes hold, I found out WH's tech support is only an answering service, to pass a message for eventual response. Needing an immediate answer to get back in operation, I told them to forget it and gave reassembly my best shot. Fortunately it worked and we had all the power we needed for the duration.

While travelling we stopped to boondock overnight one rainy 40F night in Abilene. While running the generator running I leveled things and opened the bedroom slide. I noticed the generator wasn't changing with load demand so I double-checked my connections. Discovered I wasn't getting and power to the 5er, I worked my way back and learned the generator wasn't putting out any power. Called WH tech support, gave them all my info & got a case number assigned, expecting a callback the next morning. My 2+ year old batteries weren't enough to bring in the slide or raise the jacks, so I was stuck, at least for the night. Bought 2 new batteries so I could get back on the road the next day. Several days went by with no callback from WH, so I called again & using the option for an already assigned case #, I got to a live person after about 15 minutes, only to find it was still just the answering service & she had no way to escalate my call. Fortunately we had several days with hook-ups and then only one more boondocking night before we got home. Once there I took it to a WH authorized service center, but it was a week before WH gave them the OK to begin diagnostics under warranty. Two weeks later & I'm still waiting to learn what broke & how long it will be down for repairs. Initial ballpark was 8-10 weeks. Not helpful for my holiday travel plans! Trying to decide if I can borrow/rent a small generator somewhere or if I now need to go buy a small one for backup.

2015 Montana 3582RL
2015 Ford F-350 DRW, 6.7 diesel, Anderson Ultimate Connection Gooseneck Hitch
CraigB in FL is offline   Reply With Quote