Thread: Wind
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #13
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Actually, one of those is equal to 2 solar panels of the 2'x5' size. Cost of everything downstream of the wind turbine or solar panels are almost identical. Same batteries, same inverter/charger, slightly different charge controllers but price should be about the same. All the misc. wires, breakers and switches are identical. There is one issue that is often overlooked, the wires from the turbine or solar panels need to be as direct as possible to the charge controller which must be very close to the batteries. As you can see in the picture, the wind turbine is as far away as possible from the basement area that will contain the charge controller. This will cost money for bigger wires and also reduce efficiency/power. Also, 2 of my 180W panels cost the same as a 400W turbine.
On the other hand, wind may be available day or night. They may produce less power but they can produce at all hours. I figure that one shade tree is worth one air conditioner. And, as power is produced at night it would reduce the need for battery capacity which could offset the added cost of wiring as you suggested. There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. I'm not opposed to solar but the technology now is similar to the old 10' satellite antennas of years past. Everyone wanted one then but look at what they have now.