View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
dieselguy wrote:
Quote:
quote:
Although a valid posting ... "Team Weight Police" is far outnumbered by Joe Average who if his truck will pull it ... will tow with it. Many seasonal RVers only tow 3 - 4 times a year when a holiday comes up ... whether they are aware of this issue or not, they're not going to invest in a truck legally up to the task unless they need it for other demands their lives have. I propose let's quit beating this horse and concentrate on our own what-ifs.
I am not sure it is fair to put those owners in a category called "Weight Police" that have done due-diligence and ensured their TV and RV were not over the capacities of either. For sure far more people either have no idea of their weights or choose to ignore them than those that do not, that does not make the others "Weight Police".

What I see as wrong is those that you put in the "Joe Average" category suggesting to a new/newer owner who is concerned and posts here in the forum, and is then given suggestions to perform certain mods that do not make his TV either "legal" or safer since it is still overweight. Not to mention the poor/inaccurate advise given by both TV and RV sales people.

In spite of all the efforts to decrease the weight and increase the size of the RV's throughout the industry, some require a significantly more robust TV than others to be safe and legal. If you are going to tow one of these you make the choice to either buy a TV capable of handling the RV safely or not. That choice affects not only yourself and your family but it very well may affect some innocent traveler using the same road as you.

I will never criticize anyone for their choices, but would always advise that they get the proper equipment to do the job, and where possible assist them in determining what they need.

I have no other need for a 1 ton dually as opposed to a 3/4 ton SRW in my life at this point, however I "need" that size of truck to safely and legally pull my 3402RL. I bought my first dually for added stability when I was using a camper and pulling a boat, I love them and have no problem finding a parking spot, either drive in, parallel or otherwise.

IMHO We should stop flogging this horse when prospective owners are given proper advise on the subject right from the get go.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote